[groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC 3p

From: T. Kurt Bond
Subject: [groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC 3p
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 02:40:10 -0400

I've got a short -ms document:

.\" --------------------------------------------------
.nr PSINCR 3p
.nr GROWPS 2
.nr PD 0v
.2C
.SH 1
Locations
.IP " 1." 4
Ruin/Lost City/Temple \[em] I\[aq]m thinking a ruined temple on the
outskirts of the city that predated the current city, the one that was
destroyed when the Sorcerer-King was overthrown.
.IP " 2." 4
Exotic Land
.IP " 3." 4
Settlement

When I run this through groff -ms the indentation for the first indented
paragraph is larger than the indentation for the second indented
paragraph.  I've attached the resulting PDF file.

If I take out the ".SH 1", or change it to ".SH 2", or change the PSINCR
value to 1p the extra indentation goes away.

Anybody have any idea what's happening here?
--
T. Kurt Bond, address@hidden