[groff] Broken Attachment Link in Digest. (Was: Spooky action...)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [groff] Broken Attachment Link in Digest. (Was: Spooky action...)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 08:06:22 +0100

Hi Bob,

> > > Alas, spooky.diff, allegedly at
> > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/attachments/20180626/6721611f/attachment.diff
> > > elicits 404 Not Found. It may be that some server or client is
> > > allergic to unusual file extensions.
> >
> > You subscribe to the digest.  The non-digest email, message-ID
> > <address@hidden>, arrived here
> > with all the parts attached.
>
> The mailing list management software in use is GNU Mailman.

Version 2.1.21, probably with patches, versus the latest 2.1.27
available, though `NEWS' didn't mention anything that seemed relevant.

> I don't have any ability to fix bugs in Mailman myself.  But if
> someone else were to look into the problem

I've subscribed to the digests as well now, so will soon find out if
they're plain-text or MIME, and this email has three 1×1 images
attached to generate another test case.

The digest Doug received said
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/attachments/20180626/6721611f/attachment.diff
whereas the pipermail archive at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2018-06/msg00035.html links to a
working
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2018-06/txtqJ3sR4B10r.txt

Based on Mark Sapiro's comments in
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-July/045903.html
I wonder if attachment.diff is somewhere in the filesystem, but not
joined up to the incoming HTTP GET's path.

Mailman seems to punt the digest generation to Python2's package `email'
to `flatten' the object representing the message back to text so
hopefully that gets the detail correct.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy