Re: [groff] Macron characters in pdf files

From: Deri James
Subject: Re: [groff] Macron characters in pdf files
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 15:27:23 +0100

On Mon 04 Jun 2018 23:21:15 Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've verfied that the problem discussed in the following forwarded
> email exists.  -Tps has no trouble finding macron characters
> composed in vim; -Tpdf does.  Deri, I think this is your bailiwick.
>
> :)

Hi Peter,

I'm having trouble recreating the problem here. So I need a little help, since
you can create the issue.

I have created a little test file in vimwith some macron(ned) characters.
Since this is a utf-8 file I added -k to the groff command, but none of the
resulting unicode glyphs are available in my fonts, so they are all rejected
with the warning "can't find special character". Without the -k flag I do see
the capital A’s described below, but this is just groff cheewing up the "wide"
chars in utf-8.

The results, i.e. failure, are identical for both gropdf and grops.

If I now insert the line ".ft U-TR" at the top of the file, using the URW
fonts which do contain the required glyphs, all seems fine and dandy for the
gropdf output. As an aside it would be lovely if groff had the same concept of
"foundry" as gropdf, i.e. you could put ".ft TR" in your troff file and select
the foundry in the groff command line with something like "-y U". Groff would
then identify the font to use as U-TR and that would be passed to the
postprocessors.

So I am a little stuck. If you can recreate the issue on your system, please
can you run this example for ps and pdf using groff's -Z flag, capture any
errors as well (2>&1), and send me the results.

But it may be all he needs is .FAMILY U-T or similar, to make it work, depends
on whether his gropdf includes the U foundry.

Cheers

Deri

NB Example  file builds with:-

groff -Tpdf -k macron.trf

> > Greetings good Sir and thank you for MOM!
> >
> > I'm writing today because I cannot seem to overcome an issue where I am
> > unable to get macrons over vowels to display correctly in the resulting
> > pdfs. I am on Arch linux using vim as my text editor.
> > Groff version 1.22.3-7 is installed.
> > I use Atril to display pdfs.
> > I can write in Libreoffice Writer and enter the macron-vowels thru the
> > charcter selector, then export to pdf and the characters display correctly
> > so I have fonts installed sufficient to display the macron characters.

But perhaps not registered for gropdf.

> > can enter the macron-vowels in vim using the Ctrl-K diagraph keybindings
> > and they display correctly in the terminal. If I export the .mom file to
> > ps
> > the result, whilst ugly, displays the macron-vowels correctly, so I
> > believe
> > somewhere in groff something is going wrong.

I'm not sure what "ugly" means in this context.

> > What I am getting in the pdf
> > is the Capital A with strange markings in place of the i or o with macron
> > intended.

I see this, in both pdf and ps output if I don't include preconv as part of
the run.

> > I found online a groff macro .AM which claims to be able to
> > produce macron characters, but I do not see how to incorporate this with
> > mom. I also tried \[i-] style with no luck.
> > I get "can't find special character" errors with this method.

I suppose this is composite \[i -], which generates the correct glyph, but it
is not in the default font