Re: [groff] hyphen, minus sign and hyphen-minus

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] hyphen, minus sign and hyphen-minus
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 11:50:31 +0100

Hi Deri,

> man -Tpdf will produce what you want. The '\-' (minus) is used as the
> output glyph, but any copy/paste (or searching within document) will
> use '-' (hyphen).
>
> This is similar to the treatment of ligatures. If you look at the
> groff pdf output of the "find" man page you will see that "fi" has
> been replaced with a ligature in the output, but if you cut and paste
> the two characters “fi" are returned, and you can search for "find".

For those of us that don't know PDF, how is this achieved?  Is it the
PDF viewer that's translating to try and be helpful, assuming we don't
want the ligature, and thus vary by viewer, or the PDF itself that
states this should happen?  What if I do want to paste the ligature in
`groff'?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy