[groff] placement of const is _not_ a matter of style ...

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: [groff] placement of const is _not_ a matter of style ...
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 12:18:26 -0400

The placement of  const  is _not_ a matter of style!

>> For example,
>> in C code, it is very common to see:
>>
>>   const char *foo;
>>
>> which means something very different from:
>>
>>   char const *foo;
>
> Actually, it doesn't.  Try it.

Actually it does.

AND
        char *foo const;
Also means something!

See

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/890535/what-is-the-difference-between-char-const-and-const-char

To my mind this confusion points to a weakness of C and C++.
It would be much less of an issue if I could ask a compiler.

        What is the type of  foo ?
to be certain excacty what I was dealing with when referencing  foo .
((Or is there something out there I am not aware of?))
((Where is Dennis Ritchie when you need him?  RIP))

GCC has a  typeof  keyword, but that _duplicates_ a type.
        http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.2/gcc/Typeof.html

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems