Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [groff] mark/lineup in eqn
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 09:06:37 +0100

See in-line at [****]

On Wed, 2018-05-02 at 14:49 +1000, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2018, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>
> > I agree it lines things up right horizontally. What I complained
> > about is that (at least in -ms) a separate EQ-EN pair for each
> > line introduces extra vertical space, so the sequence does not
> > look like a coherent whole.
>
> Is that because of the spacing inside the .EQ/@EQ macro
>
>       .sp \\n[DD]u

[****]
In ms (which is my preferred macro package, though with assorted
modifications) it is indeed DD ("Display-Drop") which governs the
space that is inserted by .EQ, just as PD ("Paragraph-Drop")
does for the paragraph macros .LP, .PP, .IP, .XP etc.

One of the things I do before anything else gets run is to define
.nr PD 0
.nr DD 0
so that the default spacing is always zero. Then, when I want spacing,
I put it in explicitly. So, for instance, I pre-define
.de hsp
.sp 1n
..
for a "half-space" between paragraphs/equations/whatever, and similar
for .4sp ("quarter-space"), but it can be whatever you like so long as
it looks good in the context.
.hsp
.LP
That way you are not automatically under the control of spacings
pre-defined by the ms macros, but under your own control!
.sp 1m
LP
Best wishes to all,
.br