Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 01:44:06 +1000

> *Groff is not the ideal system for generating HTML.*

It's easier than you think.You just have to separate presentational
semantics from structural and content-related ones.

Personally, I feel HTML generators should emit only semantic markup and
leave it to structure and external stylesheets to take care of the rest.

> You might like to believe that eqn, tbl, and pic could be processed with
> grohtml

I've seen grohtml's complexity and was bewildered.  Hence why I intend to
write my own. The procedures for inferring structural or semantic metadata
from low-level intermediate output commands will be an entertaining
challenge. =)