Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [groff] groff as the basis for comprehensive documentation?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 00:05:59 +1000

I'm not sure whether to stay quiet or point out that you may have misread
me...

I'm referring to a select choice of words that just happens to neatly fall
against the 72-character limit... =) Here's the commit message I was
referring to:

Like man(7), mdoc(7) is a macro package for marking up computer manuals.
The main difference is that mdoc is semantic rather than presentational,
providing authors with a full DSL to abstract page markup from low-level
Roff commands. By contrast, `man` is minimalist and leaves formatting to
the author, who is expected to have a working amount of Roff knowledge.

Therefore the use of `mdoc` for marking up Node's manpage is a decidedly
better choice than bare `man`. Less room is left for error and mandoc(1)
offers very robust error-checking and linting.

I've been writing every commit-message like this for years and I got too
good at it, now I look completely mental... :-\