Re: [groff] More on stripping

From: Bjarni Ingi Gislason
Subject: Re: [groff] More on stripping
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 01:27:28 +0000

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:26:45PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
>[...]
> Doug's points about the candle not being worth the penny--the
> performance gain of stripped macro files is minimal--and that
> removing comments for the sake of efficiency passes the cost onto
> users, who generally have to acquire the commented/indented files
> separately for debugging and tweaking, are both valid.
>
> I'll wait to see if anyone else weighs in on this.  If not, I'll
> rename om.tmac-u to om.tmac and remove the strip.sed bits from
> mom.am.

  See article nr. 47 from 5th November 2017 in the groff list ("What
does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?").

  People are so busy writing statements, that they do not pay attention
to the task ("problem"(?)).

  It is not the stripping, or have I missed that "central" point(?).

  It is not about how many percents of time (which is _very_ relative)
is saved using stripped versus unstripped.

  There is no need to stop stripping.

  Define a variable, for example "UNSTRIPPED_TMAC_FILES=...om.tmac-u"
(in the file mom.am (?))

  Add that to the target "install:" in the Makefile... .

  Other additions are appropriate, for example for uninstalling.

###

"You must unlearn what you have learned".  Yoda in "Star Wars.  The
Empire Strikes back".

#

The only known cure for ignorance is education

E. C. McKenzie "14,000 Quips & Quotes for Writers & Speakers".
Greenwich House, New York.  1984.

#

At the rate we're going, the day may come when everybody has a college
degree and nobody has an education.

E. C. McKenzie "14,000 Quips & Quotes for Writers & Speakers".
Greenwich House, New York.  1984.

#

Education means developing the mind, not stuffing the memory.

E. C. McKenzie "14,000 Quips & Quotes for Writers & Speakers".
Greenwich House, New York.  1984.

#####

  People are that animal on Earth, that causes the most harm (damage).

  People are thus the most harmful animal, which makes them the most
dangerous one.

###

"People will rather die than think."

  Not quite right.  They want to live, but:

People will rather cause harm (including get _other_ people killed)
than think.

###

--
Bjarni I. Gislason