Re: [groff] <DKIM> Re: gropdf: failed to load 'download'

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [groff] <DKIM> Re: gropdf: failed to load 'download'
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 00:46:05 +0100

Hi Bernhard,

On Fri, Mar 09 2018 at 09:02:25 PM, Bernhard Fisseni <address@hidden> wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote on 09/03/18 16:53:
>>>  git reset --hard && git clean -f && make distclean
>>> $ ./bootstrap && ./configure --with-gs=/usr/bin/gs --prefix=$HOME \
>>>   && make -j9 install
>>>
>>> Could building be done even less dirty?
> [...]> In the meantime, "git checkout -- doc/automake_migration_tests.txt"
>> after "make distclean" should work around it.
>
> I see, it does indeed, thank you very much!

I've just removed automake_migration_tests.txt, so this problem is fixed
now.

A few remarks on the build though:

- Not sure if you have done it but you should always start by 'make
  uninstall'.

- After a 'make distclean' you don't need to invoke 'bootstrap' again.
  'make distclean' will remove files created by 'configure' so you just
  need to call 'configure' again.  You need to call 'bootstrap' only if
  something was changed in 'bootstrap.conf' or in the 'gnulib'
  integration.  Otherwise if the build system was modified (for example
  'configure.ac', an .m4 file or an .am file) then 'make' will
  automatically detect it and 'autoreconf' will be called (so that files
  like Makefile.in generated by 'bootstrap' will be re-generated).
  Usually when updating from git 'make clean' and 'make' is enough.

- If you really want to totally clean your environment then you should
  call 'git -xfd' before calling 'bootstrap'.  With the commands you
  passed -- 'git reset --hard && git clean -f && make distclean' -- your
  environment staill has generated files like 'Makefile.in' and
  'configure' (you can check that with 'git status --ignored').

- I recommend you to use out-of-source build, that is:

    mkdir build
    cd build
    ../configure
    make -j <n>