Re: [groff] More on stripping

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: [groff] More on stripping
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 17:24:56 -0400

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:26:45PM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> Subject: Re: [groff] More on stripping
>
> Doug's points about the candle not being worth the penny--the
> performance gain of stripped macro files is minimal--and that
> removing comments for the sake of efficiency passes the cost onto
> users, who generally have to acquire the commented/indented files
> separately for debugging and tweaking, are both valid.

I agree. Let's forget the stripping. I find groff lightning fast
regardless of the size of the tmac files. And knowing the
thinking behind the code is essential for progress.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    -- Brian Kernighan