Re: [groff] More on stripping

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [groff] More on stripping
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:26:45 -0400

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2018-03-10T12:02:08-0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> > I'm still strongly in favour of not stripping om.tmac, so providing
> > a fix would be counterproductive. :)
> >
> > Unless there is a compelling reason to strip om.tmac, I'd like to
> > remove it from mom.am.  Comments?
>
> Here's are some links to the last time we talked about this (for some
> reason the GNU archiver split the thread in two).
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2017-11/msg00055.html
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2017-11/msg00104.html

Doug's points about the candle not being worth the penny--the
performance gain of stripped macro files is minimal--and that
removing comments for the sake of efficiency passes the cost onto
users, who generally have to acquire the commented/indented files
separately for debugging and tweaking, are both valid.

I'll wait to see if anyone else weighs in on this.  If not, I'll
rename om.tmac-u to om.tmac and remove the strip.sed bits from
mom.am.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca