Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.3.rc1

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] Release Candidate 1.22.3.rc1
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:40:57 +0000

Hi Bertrand,

>   git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/groff.git
>   cd groff
>   git checkout 1.22.3.rc1
>   ./bootstrap

./bootstrap fails here.  autoconf 2.69-11 on Ubuntu 17.10.  It seems
./configure has unexpanded m4 macros.

    running: AUTOPOINT=true LIBTOOLIZE=true autoreconf --verbose --install
--force -I gnulib_m4  --no-recursive
    autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
    autoreconf: running: aclocal -I gnulib_m4 --force -I m4 -I gnulib_m4
    autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
    autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --include=gnulib_m4 --force
    configure:19790: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
          See the Autoconf documentation.
    configure:19795: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_FAILURE
    configure:19797: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_WARN

./configure has

    PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG

    # Check whether --with-uchardet was given.
    if test "${with_uchardet+set}" = set; then :
      withval=$with_uchardet;
    fi

       if test "x$with_uchardet" != "xno"; then :
      PKG_CHECK_MODULES(UCHARDET,
                                uchardet >= 0.0.1,
                                AC_DEFINE([HAVE_UCHARDET],
                                           [1],
                                           [uchardet library availability])
                                 groff_have_uchardet=yes,
                                if test "x$with_uchardet" = "xyes"; then
                                   AC_MSG_FAILURE([Could not found uchardet
library])
                                 else
                                   AC_MSG_WARN([uchardet library not found,
preconv \
    might not work properly])
                                 fi
                                 groff_have_uchardet=no)