Re: [groff] A typo on fsf groff wiki page, and question about releasing

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] A typo on fsf groff wiki page, and question about releasing
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 17:29:06 +0000

Hi Stephanie,

I was going to avoid being OT, but Bertrand wrote:
> > And since Groff is getting distributed widely and C++ is only
> > getting more and more popular
>
> Little disgression (of course, personal opinion, nothing objective): I
> think that C++ will face strong competition from new languages like
> Rust or Go, and decline.

I agree.  C++ has been doomed for ages, eschewed by many, including
those that took a look at it and then stuck with C, and that's before
many more warts were added as it chased the language feature du jour.

> I'm primarily a C developer, but if I would need to start a new
> project I would prefer Go over C++, unless it's really low-level or
> embedded software, in which case I would prefer C over C++.

Ditto.  Eric Raymond wrote similarly recently.  _The big break in
computer languages_ — http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7724

> Also, groff code is quite old and looks more like 'C with class' and
> doesn't use templates

Yes, that's in it's favour, as you say.

> Again, if you feel you are interested in developing into groff I think
> you should not wait such a long time.  There are some big topics

And some smaller ones, I expect.  I haven't look for a while, but a test
suite that had regressions would help catch bugs like -mm moving the
footer, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/groff/+bug/42764
Methods could include comparing the intermediate output of `groff -Z',
and rendering to pixmaps.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy