Re: [groff] [Neatroff] arabic typesetting

From: Ali Gholami Rudi
Subject: Re: [groff] [Neatroff] arabic typesetting
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 21:51:53 +0330

Hello,

Pierre-Jean <address@hidden> wrote:
> kaddour kardio <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi i am quiet a newbie in utroff/neatroff typesetting systems, i use LaTeX
> > daily in my archlinux based laptop.
> > Do Farsi settings sufficient to typeset arabic texts( via init_fa), or
> > should i create a init_ar config file?.
>
> I can't help much about neatroff, but I believe I should clarify this:
> I wrote on this list that I aimed to port utroff to neatroff, but
> that's a long term project, and currently, utroff macros can't be used
> with neatroff.
>
> And unfortunately, I don't know neatroff and arabic languages well
> enough to may answer easily your question. But as far as I understand,
> you're refering to the 'make init_fa' target of the neatroff_make
> package. This target installs a farsi font and the farsi/arabic
> shaping pre-processor for neatroff. So, to typeset arabic texts, you
> probably also need to install manually a proper arabic font.

Right.

> To do so, put the font in the 'font' subdirectory, and run './fonts.sh'
> from there.

After copying the fonts into the fonts/ directory, you can
update the neat target to generate Neatroff font descriptions:

  $ make neat

However, I think the default Farsi fonts include all required
Arabic glyphs.

To enable specific OpenType features consult
  http://litcave.rudi.ir/neatroff.pdf

Also, you can use -mfa macro package (see tmac/tmac.fa).  Try
editing demo_fa/fa.ms and check fa.pdf.  Please report if there
is a problem.

        Ali