Re: [groff] 01/03: contrib/hdtbl/examples/*.roff: Seed RNG.

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [groff] 01/03: contrib/hdtbl/examples/*.roff: Seed RNG.
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 16:22:15 +0100

Hello Branden.

"G. Branden Robinson" <address@hidden> wrote:
 |At 2017-12-02T01:32:01+0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> address@hidden (G. Branden Robinson) wrote:
 |>|commit da6ac443f21ef09d90b40d2e8215955c916f396a
 |>|Author: G. Branden Robinson <address@hidden>
 |>|Date:   Sun Nov 19 22:19:52 2017 -0500
 |>|
 |>|    contrib/hdtbl/examples/*.roff: Seed RNG.
 |>|
 |>|    Support reproducible builds by seeding hdtbl's random number generator
 |>|    (in contrib/hdtbl/examples/common.roff).
 |> Yeah and i really will not look deeply into these commits no more.
 |
 |I welcome code reviews.

Even if they are wrong like my last one?  Sorry.
No, it is about my nerves, better it is.

 |> (2) change an aspect of a macro package that looks quite
 |> deliberate to me.
 |
 |Well, yeah, it's deliberate.  The macro package author implemented his
 |Can you explain to me how I've broken an interface that end users are
 |relying upon?

No you have not done that.

 |As an aside, I find the implementation of a PRNG in the roff language to
 |be superfluous but delightful.  I wouldn't want to get rid of it.  Like
 |Greg Ubben's arbitrary-precision RPN calculator in sed, the world is a
 |better place for its existence even if it's not, and perhaps should not
 |be, a standard tool.

Does not work for me.  I am not a mathematician.  And very often
distracted and otherwise inattentive..

 |You mean this (my last==most recent) commit?

Yep, that was the one i got wrong.
A nice weekend i wish.  (As a side note i find it surprising that
groff is still usable at all given that change in [5ee77445] since
it changes C++ style allocation to C style allocation but only
adjusts a rudimentary set of users.  Very robust it is!)

--steffen