Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 00:20:46 +0100

> [...] it can adapt and absorb bits it comes into contact with,
> unlike a Romance language that's stuck being just that.

"English doesn't borrow from other languages.  English follows
other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes
through their pockets for loose grammar."

> One sees `all intensive purposes' too.  :-)

We "should of" known that such mistakes happen.  :-/

> And it took many pre-Internet years before I realised the
> `commonal garden' phrase I often heard as a child was `common
> or garden'.  I struggled for a while trying to find `commonal'
> in paper references.

Knowledge is power...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/dxosj/what_word_or_phrase_did_you_totally_misunderstand/c13pbyc/