Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:05:24 +0100

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote on Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 02:57:36AM +0100:

> selfishly decides over a style issue

I think there was a discussion on this list, and what Branden does
seems in line with the outcome to me.

> trampling over those macros

Please refrain from insulting Branden, who is doing good and no doubt
tedious work right now.

Your implicit allegation that these quotes represented BSD heritage
does not match the facts.  Here is what Cynthia's final version
contained in 4.4BSD-Lite2:

  .tm Usage: Ap "cannot be first request on a line (no .Ap)" (#\\n(.c)

That said, these are diagnostic messages for human consumption and
it seems very unlikely to me that anybody has scripts to parse them,
so i can't see any downside in unifying the style within groff.
Diagnostics in other tools, for example in mandoc, are different
anyway, and no standardization of such messages exists or is needed.

Yours,
  Ingo