Re: [groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:48:33 +0000

Hi,

Ted wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > Groff is, compared to most other formatting systems, blazing-fast.
> > it made two passes through what became a 700-900 page manual
> > (depending on what was included) to produce a PDF in less than 2
> > minutes.
>
> I really agree with Larry! Point well stated.

Yes, groff is fast compared to some popular alternatives.
But if we want to move from batch processing to interactive updating
whilst editing then we need to keep an eye on slowing things down.
Modern systems are doing that enough already.

    ...computers from the 70s and 80s commonly have
    keypress-to-screen-update latencies in the 30ms to 50ms range out of
    the box, whereas modern computers are often in the 100ms to 200ms
    range when you press a key in a terminal
        — https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

The plan AIUI is to consistently strip, and include a comment at the
start saying it's been done.  Should the unstripped be installed as a
/usr/share/doc/groff/... with the comment referencing it?  Or the
comment could give a URL directly to that particular version's
unstripped source at savannah.gnu.org's cgit/groff.git?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy