Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 06:32:13 -0500

At 2017-11-05T11:42:48+0100, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

> Couldn't this be avoided, if groff used in a preprocess one or two sed
> commands to get rid of comments and indentation?

In theory, that's impossible (in full generality) because roff is not a
regular language.  Consider the following example:

$ cat >ec.roff
.ec #
.#" This is a roff comment after I cleverly change the escape character.
Foo#[bu]bar; a bullet separates the foo from the bar.
$ nroff ec.roff |head -n1
Foo·bar; a bullet separates the foo from the bar.

sed isn't capable of coping with such tricks.

Lest anyone think that no macro package would be that perverse, our mm
and trace macro packages _do_ redefine the escape character.

Other folks here can probably think of further examples which render a
regex substitution approach infeasible.

Branden