Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 08:04:46 +0100 (CET)

> I move that we stop stripping the files.  Stripping them is saving
> us only a few hundred kB out of 25 megs.

It's not about saving disk space.  Remember that groff is an
interpreted language *without* a translation to an internal
representation.[*]  This means, for example, that a comment within a
loop with 1000 repeats gets parsed a thousand times, again and again.
Ditto for not stripped-off leading spaces.  Similarly, longer macro
names take a longer time for being parsed.  This can make a
significant difference even today for operations that should be as
fast as possible.

    Werner

[*] Contrary to TeX, say.