Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] What does the "-u" in ".tmac-u" mean?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 00:40:48 +0100

On Thu, Nov 02 2017 at 10:51:37 AM, Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. November 2017, 08:09:48 CET schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>> > Does anyone know the reason for the following convention?
>> >
>> > $ find -name "*.tmac-*"
>> > ./contrib/hdtbl/hdmisc.tmac-u
>> > ./contrib/hdtbl/hdtbl.tmac-u
>> > ./contrib/mom/om.tmac-u
>> > ./tmac/e.tmac-u
>> > ./tmac/doc.tmac-u
>> > ./tmac/doc-old.tmac-u
>>
>> If my memory serves me well, the `u' stands for `uncompressed', i.e.,
>> without comments and indentation removed.  Bertrand removed the
>> functionality to install stripped tmac files, IIRC — computers are
>> much faster today, so this is (probably?) no longer needed.
>>

>>     Werner
>
> comparing:
> tmac/e.tmac-s
> tmac/e.tmac-u
>
> -s means stripped comments and -u unstripped
> Anyway, installed later is tmac/e.tmac
> with the following comment at top:
> .\" -*- nroff -*-
> .\" This is a generated file, created by `tmac/strip.sed' in groff's
> .\" source code bundle from a file having `-u' appended to its name.
> .\"
>
> So best for development is using the unstripped -u version

Correct, -u is for 'unstripped'.  Before the automake migration the the
unstripped files were saved in the source tree without any extension,
and the build system would first generate a stripped file in the build
directory with a -s suffix and then install the file without this
suffix.  I've simplified the build process by storing the unstripped
file in the source tree with a -u suffix and generating the stripped
version without suffix in the build directory.  The final result is
unchanged though.

Regards,

Bertrand Garrigues