Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 17:10:17 +0200

> This discussion makes me wonder what the 3000-line perl
> script, grofpdf, can do that a trivial shell script that
> calls groff and ps2pdf can't.

Embedding of PDF figures, I guess.  Also, in a very general
sense, things like generating an outline.  This is potentially
simpler because gropdf has access to the groff intermediate
output, and supplying the required information could therefore
be easier.

In the Postscript case, this has to be passed through to
ghostscript as device code (pdfmark), to be processed during
the ps2pdf run.
(Also, ghostscript has the habit of reprocessing images even
in pdfwrite mode (instead of passing on compressed image data
untouched), which is somewhat suboptimal.)

Of course, the best solution would be for everybody to stop
using PDF and start using Postscript instead.