Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] devpdf U-fonts and Russian
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 13:43:13 +0200

> I will work on fixing this so that if gropdf runs out of
> undefined characters which can be used it will start using
> defined but unused characters. This is a little trickier,
> since a character which points to an unused glyph may in fact
> get used later in the document.

In Postscript you can use the same font with multiple different
encodings; I assume something similar is also possible in PDF.
The way this is done is by making a copy of the font dictionary,
keeping all entries except Encoding, which is replaced by the
required new encoding, and registering this copy under a new name.
(This does not really waste memory, since complex data types are
treated internally as pointers, so both copies of the font
share all data except for the encoding and the name.)

Would this also be an option for gropdf?