Re: [Groff] pic.ps

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic.ps
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:04:32 -0700

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 11:43:40 -0400, in message
address@hidden, Doug McIlroy wrote:

> The Fedora system I have access to lacks /usr/share/doc/groff, and
> in particular the wonderful tutorial /usr/share/doc/groff/pic.ps.
> Was that omitted from groff 1.22.3, or did it get dropped somewhere
> in the chain of custody between there and here?

What version of Fedora are you using?  In my Fedora 25 box, that
file does exist.  Here's the list for the entire directory:

   $ ls -AF /usr/share/doc/groff
   examples/  meintro.me  meintro_fr.me  meref.me  pdf/    pic.ps
   html/      meintro.ps  meintro_fr.ps  meref.ps  pic.ms

It occurs to me that the full groff package set may not have been
installed.  Fedora defaults to loading only the package
"groff-base" so that man pages can be displayed.  To actually use
groff for any other purpose, the packages "groff", "groff-doc",
"groff-perl", and "groff-X11" have to be installed.  Annoying, but
there it is.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
“The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop
up the drain.”    -- Scotty, “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock”