Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 22:35:40 +0200 (CEST)

> Stuff like `this' should be burned with fire and extreme prejudice.
> It's been ugly for over 20 years and is indefensible.

I disagree.  While it shouldn't be displayed after processing with
groff, it is very convenient for input even today.  On my US keyboard
it is still non-trivial to enter ‘ and ’.  Additionally, some common
fonts like DejaVu have glyph representation forms for those two glyphs
that look almost identical, which is an invitation for mistyping.

Note that using only straight quotes like '...' is not a good
replacement for input IMHO; I much prefer paired quotes.

Note also that I don't object to change `...' to '...' in code
comments or the like.  Whatever you do, however, it should be
consistent.