Re: [Groff] Regarding HTML rendering

From: mikkel meinike
Subject: Re: [Groff] Regarding HTML rendering
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:17:17 +0200

Hello again

Now I have read all your answers and answers to each other's answers and I
have done some treing and testing.

Ingo wrote:
> So technically, the best way to transform groff_mom (7) documents
> Into HTML would be to parse a high-level MOM node tree and convert
> That directly to HTML, without going through troff (1) at all, like
> Mandoc (1) does it for the mdoc (7) language.

Should I understand that if I convert my document with

groff mydocument.man -t -man -Thtml> mydocument.html

Then it will result in a direct transfer of "man markup" to html markup ??

Now, the above analysis from Ingo gives me a lot of meaning and I think I
would be really happy to use MOM as my basic text format tool and to
convert MOM's markup directly to other SGML-like output formats. This
opportunity, however, is not  practictally posible for me since no one has
made such a converter.

I have tried to use "tbl" to lend the little layout that is in the head of
my letter. The idea was that HTML is good at understanding "tables". I
therefore hoped that tables would translate well from Groff to HTML. It
turned out that grohtml tries to create a picture from the table and link
it into the HTML document. That however did not work out in my case,
probably because some of the programmes involved in the process was not
available in the system. Well guess that it is a way to deal with it but
initially not what i wanted.
Dorai suggests that I try troff2page. It sounds like it has a sensible way
to handle tbl requests. Unfortunately, I have not been able to make it work
in my Puppy Linux system due to Lua's problems. I hope I can make it work
and try it out later.

Output from -Tutf8 (ascii, latin1) works quite well and it is close to
markdown so I have also experimented with sending output from -Tutf8
(latin1) through pandoc as markdown. This also gives some interesting
results.

All in all, I think I'll be able to make my way with the low-level
conversion already found in Groff, but I have not finished testing and
experimenting yet.

As I have looked a bit on tbl in the past day I'v been wondering if no one
has written some features to make simple spreadsheet arithmetic in a tbl
table. So that you for instans could have, "sum" in a field and the program
wuld be able to interpratat it and do and calculated of the sum of the
above fields during compilation. It would give us a simple spreadsheet that
would work on CLI and that could output to that could output to several
different formats. Is there anything like that ??

Thank you again for your answers and help.

I have attached my document with a table as the main instead of tabs.

Greatings mikkel