Re: [Groff] Bitstream vera sans

From: Pedro A . López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bitstream vera sans
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 10:36:50 -0500

On 9/08/2017 9:11 a.m., John Gardner wrote:

[too long]

You've e-mailed me directly, so the rest of the mailing list won't hear you (assuming you haven't BCCed Mkkel in your reply). I've added the list's address for you. =)

Do accept my apologies for the direct message. I hadn't my email client handy and used the web interface. I'll stick to my guns on my little font rant: Please don't recommend font editors even to extract metrics information as the sole act of opening the font will cause enough rounding errors to give you typesetting errors later on. One should recommend best practices to a beginner. :-)

The command line tools mentioned have a very long track of correctness and accuracy, that fontforge is barely starting to have lately (I've used it since it came out). TBH, these days the only font editor I would recommend is RoboFont, very commercial, expensive and macos only. But the core elements are free and libre (not GNU, though): fonttools, RoboFab, defcon and ufo2fdk; all in github as is the vogue. There is a tool based on these libraries, all written in python, that dices and slices a font to extract the exact AFM that corresponds to the binary blob. Unfortunately it is part of RoboFab, as far as I recall. I've been meaning to write a free replacement but I've been side-tracked for too long.

On CrossFont, I've never felt the need to use more than the trial version TBH. And yes, before version 5 it was horrible.