Re: [Groff] Bitstream vera sans

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bitstream vera sans
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 21:42:11 +0200

> Can any of you walk me through what I should do to use the
> font 'bitstream vera sans' in my groff document? The font is
> somehow available in my system because I use it in my terminal
> (rxvt-unicode)

If you use groff with the postscript device, I can help:

 1. Create a copy of the font in a form that can be embedded in
    the document.  Assuming your font is in truetype format,
    you can use "ttftotype42" from the "LCDF Typetools"
    utilities to create a PostScript wrapper:

      ttftotype42 Vera.ttf BitstreamVeraSans-Roman.pfa

 2. Create a font metrics file.  If your font is in truetype
    format, you can use "ttf2afm" for this:

      ttf2afm Vera.ttf >BitstreamVeraSans-Roman.afm

 3. Generate the font description file for groff using "afmtodit":

      afmtodit \
        -d $GROFFDIR/font/devps/DESC \
        -e $GROFFDIR/font/devps/text.enc \
        BitstreamVeraSans-Roman.afm \
        $GROFFDIR/font/devps/generate/textmap \
        BitstreamVeraSans-Roman

    where $GROFFDIR is your groff installation directory.
    This step creates a file "BitstreamVeraSans-Roman" which
    you should copy to $GROFFDIR/font/devps (where the other
    font description files for the postscript device are),
    along with "BitstreamVeraSans-Roman.pfa".

 4. Add a corresponding line

      BitstreamVeraSans-Roman BitstreamVeraSans-Roman.pfa

    to $GROFFDIR/font/devps/download, so that grops
    automatically embeds the font in your finished document.