Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files

From: E. Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom : unicode in .INCLUDE'd files
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 07:54:13 +0200

Am Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:44:49 -0400
schrieb Peter Schaffter <address@hidden>:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017, E. Hoffmann wrote:
[...]
> > When I enter unicode, like:
> >
> >                          ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç

[...]
> > But if I include the same characters in a file with the .INCLUDE
> > macro, they disappear.  Processed with -P-bcu -Tutf8, they show up
> > like wrong encoded strings.
>
> This one's a mystery.  I created and processed your test file, with
> the same result.  INCLUDE isn't a macro, it's an unmodified alias of
> the .so request.  Clearly I, too, am missing something.
>
> Does anyone know why .so isn't passing unicode characters through?

Peter thank you for looking into it.

   I'm using groff for a long time now, always using plain groff (*.tr)
and the ms macro package.  IIRC when groff introduced the use of
unicode, it was with the -k switch.  Back then I had the same problem
with sourced files, and I processed my files with the soelim-pipe:

    soelim example.tr | preconv -eutf8 | groff -P-bcu -Tutf8

Created an always-to-be-used script and never changed that, because
of lack of need and sheer lazyness.

    Now when I take that:

------------------------------------example.tr-----------\

.pl 2v
UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç
.br
.so identical_string.tr

---------------------------------------------------------/

Processed with plain

                        groff -Tutf8 example.tr

it yields

        UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç
        UNICODE: ÃÃà SS ÃÃÃÃÅŠà äöü à òóôõÅŠç

but with

soelim example.tr | preconv -eutf8 | groff -P-bcu -Tutf8 > example.tr.soelim.txt

I get a correct

        UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç
        UNICODE: ÄÖÜ SS ÒÓÔÕŎŌ Ç äöü ß òóôõŏō ç

With ms it behaves similiar, with mom it does not.

    I'm far from being an expert.  This said, could it be that the
    problem lies in the handling of soelim and preconv?

Cheers,

erich