[Groff] Groff editor for Android?

From: Blake McBride
Subject: [Groff] Groff editor for Android?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:51:48 -0500

Greetings,

There is an interesting program for Android devices that allows one to
create, view, and print LaTeX documents on Android tablets.  It works
really well and is very convenient.  Their product is VerbTeX.  However,
I'd often prefer Groff/MM.  What they have done is actually pretty simple.
Here is how it works:

1.  You edit your doc on your tablet using their editor.  It is not a
WYSIWYG editor like LyX.  It is basically the same as using a basic editor
like pico (with some simple context highlighting).  You use and see all the
raw LaTeX commands.

2.  When you are ready, you hit a button and the LaTeX file(s) get sent to
the vendor and a PDF gets sent back.  It is seamless enough that it's just
like you would do it in LyX - you hit a button and the PDF pops up.

This same thing could be easily done with groff, tbl, mm, mom, etc.  All
the real work is being done by a remote server ... in the cloud as it
were.  So, groff and friends need not be ported to Android.

The way to make money with this is through a subscription service to allow
access to the backend.

Critically, you must save the tablet files in a place that the user can
back it up.  (Many Android packages save the files in an area that can't be
backed up to make money on a backup service.  I think it is unethical to
hold people hostage over their own data.)

Just an idea that I don't have time to implement but would be willing to
pay to use.

Thanks.

Blake McBride