Re: [Groff] Problems with arcs and angles

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [Groff] Problems with arcs and angles
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 02:44:43 +1000

> *The documentation is correct. The code is wrong. Later code copied
> earlier code.*

Ugh, that's even more confusing. Looks like gropdf's comments could do with
a clean-up: these lines had me confused as well:

# do it in 4 pieces

my $totang=($endang-$startang)/4;

> # Now 1 piece
> my $x0=cos($totang/2);
> my $y0=sin($totang/2);

*In the groff source, adjust_arc_center() seems the culprit that many of
> the output devices call to mess with arc's calculations.*

Well... right and wrong way aside, I'm simply glad to have achieved parity
with grops/gropdf. Here's a rendering <http://i.imgur.com/M4vwNaN.png> of
Eric Raymond's graph used on page 28 of "*Making Pictures with GNU PIC"*.

Needless to say, it'll be interesting to browse system documentation in
graphical form, with manpage references appropriately linked...