Re: [Groff] Critique this bold-italic private macro for man pages

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Critique this bold-italic private macro for man pages
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 12:57:22 +0200 (CEST)

> "James K. Lowden" <address@hidden> hat am 4. Mai 2017 um 02:13 geschrieben:
>
> Why not?  ISTM we'd have better manpages if they weren't constrained to
> the rendering capability of a VT-100 terminal.   For example, equations
> or pictures could augment the text, or replace some of it, when
> "printed".

Indeed, \(.n and \(.t are an exception.  Should not be used excessively, but in
few cases it makes sense.  Also hyperlinks and a table of contents could be
used in PDF or HTML format, although this should be implemented in the macro
package then and could then also be applied to manpages which had been design
with just VT-100 in mind...