Re: [Groff] : ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Groff] : ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 12:27:40 -0400

Hi Doug,

You didn't quote to whom you're responding so I may be a little
confused.

At 2017-05-01T22:06:38-0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> Originally \(pl and \(mi came from a fixed font (S) while + and \-
> came from the current font.

Yes, I believe you're correct, going by CSTR #54.  (And, of course, you
were there, and I was in diapers.)

> As I understand your comment, groff has reversed this troff
> convention. Additionally groff interprets - as a compromise
> HYPHEN-MINUS.

I don't understand Ingo to be proposing to make either of these
statements true.

Ingo's proposal would not mandate that + and \- come from the special
font.

It also would not mandate that \(pl and \(mi come from the current font.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Regards,
Branden