Re: [Groff] Nesting font macros in man pages

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [Groff] Nesting font macros in man pages
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 02:02:40 +1000

> *By mixing low-level roff(7) syntax into your mdoc(7) document, like
> defining*

*your own macros, you gratuitiously endanger portability.*

*You are being selfish. If you forcefully redefine standard macros, the
> result*

*will look unnatural to *everyone else**

Some documents I write are for personal use, or written recreationally.
E.g., this
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CanvasRenderingContext2D/arc>
was
made for amusement when I got sick of loading the same slow-loading (and
cluttered) page in a browser. Since I've been referencing that particular
page very frequently lately, it's actually proven quite convenient. Were I
documenting a C library or system documentation in mdoc, well... I know
better than to get carried away scratching personal itches. =)

*Manuals tend to have so much font jumping anyway that they*

*are **often* *not very visually pleasing and look noisy.*

True. Unfortunately, these manuals tend to be written by programers with
little to no knowledge of typography or design. Thankfully, I'm not one of
them. =)