Re: [Groff] ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages.

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] ASCII Minus Sign in man Pages.
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:28:55 +0200

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Clarke wrote:
 |> used the simple hyphen character because it was all monospace.
 |> If a minus sign appeared in regular text, I always used \(mi.
 |
 |It was a lot easier then when the was only ASCII `-' and nothing else.
 |:-)
 ..
 |I'm no clearer.  Except I'm not sure what I want is possible.  So what's
 |"best practice" when aiming at groff, non-groff, old systems,
 |proprietary systems?

I use U+002D hyphen-minus.  The minus sign is a mathematical
symbol, i would say.  Hyphen-minus logically combines two words.
But that came naturally, i didn't really think about it.  Maybe
the text-processor should be so smart to realize that the actual
use cases combines words without an intermediate newline, and
should correct the glyph "to look nicer" in that case?

--steffen