Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: Version 2.2 updates.

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: Version 2.2 updates.
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 18:18:35 -0500

Bertrand --

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Mon, Feb 27 2017 at 06:17:55 PM, Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2017, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> >> It seems that with your latest changes there is a problem with
> >> typesetting.pdf, I get the following warning (that wasn't there
> >> before):
> >>
> >>   typesetting.mom:130: warning: can't find  special character `u00A0'
> >>
> >> and in the resulting pdf the French characters with accent are not
> >> correctly displayed.  Other .pdf looks correctly generated.
> >
> > The file goes back a long ways.  In former versions, it had a
> > latin-1 fileencoding (in vim, :set fileencoding=latin-1).  It's now
> > in utf-8, like the other /example files.  '-k' switch, maybe?
>
> Option -k is already set in the .am file.  Is this .pdf correctly
> generated on your side?

Yes, no problem.  Using the just-committed pdfmom,

  pdfmom -k typsetting.mom > typesetting.pdf

at the command line produces a clean pdf with no warnings.  Without
the -k flag, the pdf prints gibberish where the accented characters
go, but with no warning.  The only way I can approximately reproduce
what you're seeing is to set the file's fileencoding back to latin-1
and run pdfmom with the -k flag, which spits out

  can't find special character `uFFFD'
                                ^^^^^
Not sure how to track down what's going on when everything's working
fine here.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca