Re: [Groff] What does .\" NS mean in the unstripped tmac files?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] What does .\" NS mean in the unstripped tmac files?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:14:17 +0000

Hi John,

Werner wrote:
> > .\" NS Dd user macro (not parsed, not callable)
>
> I no longer know, sorry.  It marks documentation lines, that's for
> sure.

They appeared in a48ab7b6db26b1d98f77f59f22896fe02a700c40,

    Author: James Clark <address@hidden>
    Date:   Wed Mar 18 04:29:18 1992 -0500

        groff before CVS: release 1.05

and part of CHANGES there says

    The -mdoc macros have been upgraded to the version in the second
    Berkeley networking release.  This version is not completely
    compatible with earlier versions; the old version is still available
    as -mdoc.old.

So you may find a hint in an old BSD that can code to process them.

Cheers, Ralph.