Re: [Groff] BuildFoundries mistakenly installed?

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] BuildFoundries mistakenly installed?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 00:31:28 +0100

Hi Colin,

On Sat, Feb 18 2017 at 02:57:48 AM, Colin Watson <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was looking through Debian's groff packaging to see what could
> usefully be simplified given some upstream changes.  At the moment I
> have a custom rule to make $(datadir)/font/devpdf/util/BuildFoundries
> executable, since it has a #! line, and I was going to apply this to
> master to fix that for everyone:
[...]
> However, I then took a closer look at history and found this:
>
> 2011-08-14  Deri James  <address@hidden>
>
>         [gropdf] More minor fixes.
>
>         * font/devpdf/Makefile.sub (MOSTLYCLEANADD): Don't attempt to
>         install 'util/BuildFoundries', only used in 'make'.

Yes, this is commit 6f2c67747d372a68d4e0080bccee220639f62300, however
BuildFoundries was put back into MOSTLYCLEANADD on this commit:

commit e758b8fa74b640faadfa82a63c66b793499f32ff
Author: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
Date:   Tue Jan 29 11:07:11 2013 +0000

    Building clean-ups.

    * Makefile.in: Use $(top_srcdir) where appropriate.
    * Makefile.sub (M4MACROS): Add `fcntl-o.m4' and `localcharset.m4'.

    * font/devpdf/Makefile.sub (UTILFILES): Removed, unused.
    (MOSTLYCLEANADD): Add `BuildFoundries'.
    * src/devices/gropdf/Makefile.sub (MOSTLYCLEANADD): Add `pdfmom'.

> So I think that this is a regression in Bertrand's Automake migration,

BuildFoundries was already installed before the automake migration
(during the migration I've tried to stick to the original behaviour by
checking all the installed files), I've just compiled/installed from the
1.22.3 tarball and I have this file in the install tree.

However it seems to me that BuildFoundries is a script only used during
the build process, I can't say why it was put back in the list of
installed files again.

Maybe Werner or Deri could help on this point.

Regards,

Bertrand Garrigues