Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 22:39:09 +0100

Hi George,

On Wed, Nov 16 2016 at 10:15:15 AM, G Helffrich <address@hidden> wrote:
>       Ralph suggested that I provide some example output; please see
> attached links.  One is simple (eqn, tbl, pic functionality demo) and
> the other is math-heavy with SVG output of EPS figures included via
> .PSPIC.
>
>       The key parts for integration with the groff code base are the
> tools for eqn to LaTeX translation (whose output gets embedded in the
> html) and for table to html translation (to integrate with groff’s
> html back-end).
>
> http://members.elsi.jp/~george/test.html
> http://members.elsi.jp/~george/ms.html

In order to evaluate what should be done to integrate your work, I think
we first need to set up an environment to re-generate your examples with
the current version of all your tools, and then try to duplicate the
whole process on up-to-date tools.

I understand from your previous mail that you use a very old groff
version and use 'unroff', which (according to the url you gave
http://www-rn.informatik.uni-bremen.de/software/unroff) is unmaintained
for nearly 20 years, and it also relies on an extension of the Scheme
language called ELK at version 3.0.  The author of unroff was also the
original author of ELK but in the meantime the maintainer changed and
the latest version is 3.99.x; but I'm not sure it is actively maintained
(see http://sam.zoy.org/elk/ some links are broken, the latest commit on
trunk was in 2011).

Which means there are lots of work to come and patching eqn or tbl is
only part of the work.  Could you describe exactly which tools you are
using (which version of groff, unroff, elk, and the url from where you
downloaded them) on which distribution and describe all the steps to
generate your html files?  I can have a try, but to be honest the unroff
INSTALL file does not look very friendly to me ("Check the site and
compiler dependencies at the beginning of the Makefile and modify them
if necessary"...).

Bertrand Garrigues