Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:30:05 -0400

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:37:07PM +1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:

> Some trade journals which are funded by their advertising, often suffer,
> or loose relevance because all the effort goes into creating the flashy
> advertisements done by these graphic artists. far less work goes into the
> content/arrangment/quality/readability/grammar of the articles and they
> loose their readership.

For a counter-example, one that the prizes readability over eye-candy, see The
Economist magazine.  There _is_ eye-candy in the ads, but they do not interfere
with the readability nor the content.

So I have used  [ntg]roff  all these years because I can concentrate on the
content.  The presentation (once I've picked and implemented a style) takes
care of itself.

I even use an nroff filter I wrote in the 1980s on my outgoing e-mail for
exactly that reason.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems