Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:05:43 -0400

Gerard --

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016, Gerard Lally wrote:
> What if you have a mixed document, like a magazine article, where
> you might have pages of text interspersed with a page here and
> there of text and graphics?  You would still want *roff for its
> typographical benefits, surely?  Have you ever used *roff and a
> page layout program together to produce a single document like
> this?

Not specifically a page layout program, but I have been known to
design an entire page in Inkscape or the Gimp and import it.

I might better answer your question by saying that right now, I'm
writing an article on midi orchestration.  It makes extensive use of
imported graphics (including full page), tables, and diagrams.  The
workflow is straightforward, there's relatively little formatting
clutter, almost no low-level groffery, and the results are, so far,
excellent.

So, yes, a mixed document such as you describe is well within
groff's purview.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca