Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?

From: Gerard Lally
Subject: Re: [Groff] *roff for desktop publishing - is it feasible?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 22:26:36 +0100

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016, at 21:21, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> On 24/10/16 05:52:41, Gerard Lally wrote:
> > Is it possible to lay out a page, as in the attached sample file,
> > using *roff? I'm about to commit myself to learning troff and friends
> > more thoroughly. Before I start I'd like to have a broad idea of its
> > limitations.
> >
> > I don't need a how-to, detailed or otherwise, showing the steps you'd
> > take to produce this page in *roff. Just an idea whether or not the
> > wizards among you on this list would consider tackling such a project
> > with your favourite document formatter.
>
> The short answer is Yes.  Groff could reproduce this layout.  Any of
> the frequent contributors to this list (which doesn't include me) could
> knock this out.
>
> The long answer is No.  There are probably "easier" applications to
> use, especially as most other applications can handle images that are
> in other than postscript format.
>
> Would I consider tackling the illustrated page?  No way, my sense of
> responsible typography forbids it.

Well the sample is meaningless; I searched for a "desktop publishing"
image and chose that one at random as a reasonably complex example of
what I had in mind. Good typography is one of the reasons I am hoping to
standardize on *roff. It's going to be a lifetime commitment for me. I
can see its value with regard to normal document formatting, but I was
curious to know whether it could be pushed to handle more complex DTP,
brochure and business card layouts.