Re: [Groff] colorized man pages

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] colorized man pages
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 16:56:19 +0200

walter harms <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Am 19.08.2016 13:06, schrieb Steffen Nurpmeso:
 |> "James K. Lowden" <address@hidden> wrote:

 |>|It's a little far afield, but some here might be interested in the
 |>|interest in manpages.  mdoc has no color features, leaving folks to
 |>|resort to some pretty brutal techniques.

 |> I think it would be nice to offer people the possibility to
 |> specify a list of colours.  It shouldn't be too much work to
 |> instrument a few important man and mdoc macros and add an
 |> environment variable, say, MANUAL_COLOURS, in equal spirit to
 |> LS_COLORS.  In the Linux world there is now a dircolors(1) command
 |> which can be used to control LS_COLORS.  Well.
 |>
 |> Yes, people are interested in that and should have the possibility
 |> to do that, exactly like you say.  And as flexible as possible.
 |> I place it on my TODO list for S-roff.

 |hi guy,
 |please make sure that this is a reversible change.
 |personally i find dircorlors annoying, i can not read
 |anything with certain combinations. An i have no idea
 |what colors you would like to have in a man page.

I am really sorry that S-roff is still not what i am working on,
i had planned to not touch my MUA a single day in 2016 and yet
i haven't touched anything else a single day.  I am sorry for all
people that have placed hope in that project over two years ago,
shall there be some sort of!

The thing is, i have stepped up maintaining this MUA, and it was
really broken, and it is still so restricted, and the new version
will bring _so_ many improvements...  I want to step over to other
projects because i actually _can_ leave it aside for some time
without too many regrets, and for no other reason.  Not too few
times i have said things like "S-roff should have worked on
christmas, ... but in 2014", and it is even worse with S-CText.

I'm really, really eagerly looking forward for it.
I will remember your words, then.

I mean, the thing as such should be doable in a few days, if you
know the macros.  I think the TTY device (html is just broken)
should optionally be enabled to look for real colours, though, and
actively decide on its own.  That will need proper configuration,
compile etc. extensions, then, however.
Ciao.

--steffen