Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:50:52 +0200

Hi James,

James K. Lowden wrote on Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:40:41AM -0400:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:56:52 +0200
> Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:

>>  4. Let the man(1) steering program fork and exec less(1).

> I'm using NetBSD 7.0, and my /usr/bin/man doesn't work as you
> describe, at least not for pdksh and a few others I tried.

I was talking about the CVS HEAD version of the mandoc toolbox from
bsd.lv, sorry that i didn't say that explicitly.
NetBSD is still using the latest mandoc release, 1.13.3, which
doesn't contain the :t functionality yet.  Besides, the NetBSD
man(1) is still the traditional BSD implementation, not the mandoc
implementation, even though it uses mandoc(1) as the formatter.

But it should be easy to compile mandoc from CVS HEAD source code
on NetBSD 7.0 and install that as man(1) if you want to have it.

Operating systems i know of that already use the mandoc implementation
of man(1) by default are OpenBSD, Alpine Linux, and Void Linux.
Among these, OpenBSD (both -stable and -current) is probably the
only one having :t support out of the box.

>> When stdout is not a terminal ... indexing isn't attempted, and
>> when called as mandoc(1) rather than man(1), it isn't at all.

> I'm pretty sure my man invokes mandoc as "mandoc".  Would that be a
> problem?

That cannot work.  If man(1) invokes an external mandoc(1) via fork
and exec, there is no :t support.  You need a version of mandoc
where /usr/bin/man and /usr/bin/mandoc are hard links to one and
the same executable file.  Otherwise, man cannot know the name of
the temporary ctags file that mandoc created, so it cannot pass it
on to less.

Yours,
  Ingo