Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:53:28 +0200

Hi,

Werner LEMBERG wrote on Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 07:05:01AM +0200:
> Doug McIlroy wrote:
>> Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> The canonical documentation, BTW, are the groff info files

>> How ironic!

> Yes :-) However, `info' is the official GNU documentation format,
> and its indexing system is quite good, something groff's output
> formats don't provide.

Actually, mdoc(7) indexing is more powerful than info(1) indexing:

  http://man.openbsd.org/?query=Ft,Fa~[ug]id_t&apropos=1

Documentation:

  http://man.openbsd.org/apropos

And groff(1) is not only able to format mdoc(7) manuals, mdoc(7)
was originally developed for groff, even though Cynthia reluctantly
kept ditroff compatibility originally.  Actually, regarding Postscript
and PDF output, groff(1) is much better than mandoc(1) output.
Admittedly, groff(1) doesn't support the indexing functionality,
but the groff-based formats do support it.

> On the other hand, I always tried to maintain well-written
> man pages

Indeed, the quality of the manuals has drastically improved since
you took over maintenance.

> that covers everything of groff as you can imagine, this lead
> to double work...

In particular for a software providing features in abundance
like groff does.

Yours,
  Ingo