[Groff] sidebars

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: [Groff] sidebars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:46:05 -0400

While I'm in the groff neighborhood, I'd like to ask for advice for a
style of layout I don't see any direct support for.

Readers of this list might have read The Annotated Alice.  The text of
Alice in Wonderland is full size, and the outer edges of the page have
copious side-notes whose vertical location coincides with the text
they're commenting on.  Reading the text, the reader can easily refer
to the running commentary along the edge.  Depending on mood and
interest, sometimes the commentary is more interesting than the text
itself.

Like footnotes, the sidenotes are distinguished from the main text by
the font size.  Unlike footnotes, they alternate location on odd and
even pages.

I don't see any simple way of using .2C in -ms to emulate that layout,
nor does .MCO in MOM look suitable. I suppose it requires a whole
different set of macros.  How would you approach it?

--jkl