Re: [Groff] grohtml: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] grohtml: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page has started
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:37:07 +0100

Anton Shterenlikht <address@hidden> writes:

>>From address@hidden Thu Apr 14 16:02:42 2016
>>
>>I wonder if it might be worth commenting out the .RP and see if html
>>generation works?  It appears to be influencing the initial macros
>>which might be conflicting with html.
>
> Actually, after fixing the .XS/.XE placement issue,
> the output is nearly fine:
>
> http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/coarweb/doc.html
>
> One problem I can see is that the last 2 words in
> the longer heading titles have been merged together,
> i.e. the whitespace is missing, e.g.:
>
> http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/coarweb/doc.html#7.%20Remote%20operations,%20execution%20segments%20and%20image%20controlstatements
>
> Any idea what can cause this?

Hi,

my guess is that that the opening to your text uses:

.lf 1 doc.full
.lf 1 ./doc.1
.\"$Id: doc.1 57 2016-04-13 14:34:10Z mexas $
.\" Copyright (c) 2016 Anton Shterenlikht, The University of Bristol
.\" See LICENSE for licensing conditions
.RP no
.na
.hy 0

I'd try changing it to:

.if !'\*(.T'html'  .na

and also you could try:

.if '\*(.T'html'  .ll 20i
.\" aweful hack I know

> Another minor nit is that the pi symbol is
> rendered correctly in the body, but missing
> from headings or the TOC entry:
>
> yes in the text:
>
> http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/coarweb/doc.html#10.%20New%20Fortran%202008%20construct:%20DO%20CONCURRENT
>
> no in the header:
>
> http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/coarweb/doc.html#12.%20Example%20program:%20calculation%20of

iirc there are limitations of characters allowed in headings with html.

An unrelated aside - it might be worth adding a style sheet when you
have finished - to do this I would add the following to the beginning of
a document

.de FINISH
.  if '\*(.T'html' \{\
.     sp
.     in 0
.     HR
.     HEAD "<link rel=""stylesheet"" type=""text/css"" href=""default.css"" />"
.  \}
..
.em FINISH

http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Papers/grohtml-journal/grohtml.xhtml