Re: [Groff] grohtml: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] grohtml: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page has started
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:51:30 +0100

Hi Anton,

> I get this error:
>
>     ./doc.1:4: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page has started

ms changes RP from its normal definition to triggering this error when a
`.wh 0' trap is triggered at the top of the page.

> The command I invoke is:
>
>     /usr/local/bin/groff -ept -ms -Thtml -P -Dhtmlimg -P -r -VV doc.ref >
> doc.html
>
> where doc.ref is the file after processing with soelim
> and refer.
> doc.ref has:
>
>     .lf 1 doc.full
>     .lf 1 ./doc.1
>     .\"$Id: doc.1 57 2016-04-13 14:34:10Z mexas $
>     .\" Copyright (c) 2016 Anton Shterenlikht, The University of Bristol
>     .\" See LICENSE for licensing conditions
>     .RP no

I got it down to this test case by looking at the commands being run
with -VV.

    $ pre-grohtml troff -ms -Thtml <<<'.RP no' >/dev/null
    stdin:1: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page has started

pre-grohtml runs troff a couple of times, according to strace(1), and I
could simplify the first of those to

    $ troff -ms -rps4html=1 -Tps <<<'.RP no' >/dev/null
    <standard input>:1: macro error: RP is not allowed after the first page has
started

Removing the `-rps4html=1' stops the error.  Putting it back along with
`-mtrace' before the -ms showed it was reading www.tmac before the
top-of-page trap was triggered.  At the end of that is

    .if r ps4html .nop \O[0]

Commenting that out stops the error.  Gaius?

I suspect the error can be ignored the two times it appears for you.  Do
you otherwise find the output is OK?

Cheers, Ralph.