Re: [Groff] PS font family with Romanian Glyphs

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] PS font family with Romanian Glyphs
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 22:36:05 -0000 (GMT)

[See at end]

On 09-Feb-2016 21:00:02 Heinz-Jürgen Oertel wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016, 11:19:48 schrieb Ralph Corderoy:
>> Hi,

>> Some background, having looked into it, that might interest others.  ISO
>> 8859's pages didn't sufficiently cover Romanian until ISO 8859-16 was
>> added quite late on, e.g. ț is byte 254.  Unicode, of course, has runes
>> for ț, etc., without resorting to combining characters.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_alphabet#Digital_typography
>>
>> Cheers, Ralph.
>
> I looked at KDE kcharselect
> -----------------
> Zeichen: ţ U+0163
> Name: LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CEDILLA
> Anmerkungen und Querverweise
> Notizen:
> Semitic transliteration, ...
> the character ț U+021B LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW should be used
> instead for Romanian
> Siehe auch:
> ț U+021B LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW
> Entsprechungen:
> t U+0074 LATIN SMALL LETTER T ̧ U+0327 COMBINING CEDILLA
> Allgemeine Zeichen-Eigenschaften
> Block: Latin (Erweiterung-A)
> Unicode-Kategorie: Buchstabe, Kleinschreibung
> Verschiedene nützliche Repräsentationen
> UTF-8: 0xC5 0xA3
> UTF-16: 0x0163
> C oktal dargestelltes UTF-8: \305\243
> XML-Dezimal-Entität: ţ
> ---------------------
>
> but as it says: LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW should be used instead
> for Romania
> ---------------------
> Zeichen: ț U+021B
> Name: LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH COMMA BELOW
> Anmerkungen und Querverweise
> Notizen:
> Romanian
> Siehe auch:
> ţ U+0163 LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CEDILLA
> Entsprechungen:
> t U+0074 LATIN SMALL LETTER T ̦ U+0326 COMBINING COMMA BELOW
> Allgemeine Zeichen-Eigenschaften
> Block: Latin (Erweiterung-B)
> Unicode-Kategorie: Buchstabe, Kleinschreibung
> Verschiedene nützliche Repräsentationen
> UTF-8: 0xC8 0x9B
> UTF-16: 0x021B
> C oktal dargestelltes UTF-8: \310\233
> XML-Dezimal-Entität: ț
> ------------------------------
>
> Heinz

For those who may wish to achieve these things using their
bare hands [à la "troff" = true roff ... ], I show below
the scheme I use for several foreign accented characters,
including Romanian. They depend on definitions given in
the ms macro ".AM" (e.g. \*' etc.). These date back to
the early 1990s (before UTF8 etc, were invented ... ).

.acc*over-def dot \(a.
.acc*over-def breve \(ab
.acc*over-def ring \(ao
.acc*over-def ; \(a"
.\" ------------------------------------------------
.\" Definition of codes to evoke Turkish characters:
.\"    e.g. dotless-i is got by \*i in text
.\" Chars \[gbreve], \[Gbreve] and \[Idot] added by TED  11 October 1993
.char \[Gbreve] G\*[breve]
.char \[gbreve] g\*[breve]
.char \[Idot] I\*[dot]
.char \(uG G\*[breve]